RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
conspiracy theory......
Post conspiracy theory...... 
have you ever had the thought that manufacturers could put a special code or program into the ecm that would purposely deteriorate engine performance or mpg with vehicle age? just so you'd want to buy a new vehicle again?

is this thought completely retarded? or is it possible?

can chip programers completely access everything on an ecm?

Doubtful that they would do such a thing but it is indeed possible.

It is possible to read the entire memory contents of a PCM but it takes an extraordinary amount of time and effort to "reverse engineer" all of the code. When you grab the memory contents of the computer, you do not get the pretty, commented version of the code (the source code) that the original developers wrote. You get a binary file that must be disassembled and sorted through by computers and programmers.

Post Here's one for you... 
Is it possible that the trucks could see close to the same mileage as the cars if the trucks were programmed as cars? A wintertime project I'm going to look at is comparing the ECM outputs of my Tahoe with a pre-LS1 Camaro to see if I can get a Camaro ECM to work with my Tahoe. Would be building an adapter harness at first if it looks like something I can do, then see if my mileage goes up just by swapping to a car PCM. I wouldn't expect to see the same mileage as the donor car, but would expect to see some improvement if this were a fact.

Or maybe when I finally buy a Tunercat, compare the files between a car and truck and make the truck file as similar to the car as I can? This is something that someone with a Tunercat now could investigate.

Post Anything is *possible*... 
Is it likely? I hope not. I work with computers every day and I hate electronic stuff just because I know what computers/electronics can do if they are programmed correctly.

I simply refuse to play an electronic slot machine because of this. There's no fun in it when you know it's possible for the "boss" to change the probabilities of payouts based on who he sees walk up to the machine.

Post Re: Anything is *possible*... 
Hey guys! It is good you have so strong technical background. I am far behind you and still need to study a lot of things. But at the moment I need someone’s help. Can you please get in touch with me as I cannot update a few things. I am from the Boston zip code location if it matters. Anyway, I will be happy if you are my neighbor. It is not much to be done, an hour will be enough.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1