RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
TPI ON VORTEC 383 97 2 DOOR TAHOE
Post TPI ON VORTEC 383 97 2 DOOR TAHOE 
Hi guys I have just completed another Tuned Port Injection on a Vortec Tahoe. I’m getting it down to as simple as I can so you guys can do it yourself with only a couple of special parts and the rest from local parts house. I will post pictures of I can ever figure out how on this sight.

I am curious as to drive-ability. The TPI motors always got a bad rap because they run out of air above 4000 RPM. My L31 and even my L92 never get above 4K for long. Most of the driving is done between 1500-3500 RPM. That would make the TPI swap perfect I would think. It wont make big horsepower numbers but I would think it would make big torque down low to get these heavy trucks moving!

First off what is your goal, you are talking about taking the engine beyond 4000rpms. So a TPI is probably not what you are looking for. My particular builds on this subject or all about low end torque for moving heavy vehicles, I am not concerned with horsepower or RPMs because these trucks are not race cars , they are considered heavy trucks. The first swap I did was on a 1998 Chevy 1 ton crew cab long bed 400sbc that pulls a 36’ 11k lb trailer. It we have nicknamed this engine the gas burner Duramax. The drivability is insane. This is the way GM should have built them to begin with. I don’t know how to get pictures on to this website so if you would like to see it try pm me.

Post 88ZNX 
I followed a few of your forum posts and would like to get some info about the TPI swap. I had on a 400 small black in an 86 TA years ago, that was a fun car. I have been looking at EFI swaps for the L31 and the TPI's high torque seems perfect for my K3500. When you have time, let me know.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1