RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Instruments, OEM to aftermarket
Post Instruments, OEM to aftermarket 
Anyone know if there is a way to use the OEM computer to drive aftermarket instruments? I'm looking for something that could be wired into the OBD2 port, read the diagnostic information, then convert it into something that a set of VDO or Autometer gauges can read. Ideally it would have an interface that would allow the user to adjust the outputs manually, like decide what outputs are used. If not, anyone here with the necessary skills want to create something? Seems nobody else has done so, which is a surprise because I know that not everyone who puts a modern drivetrain in an old car wants to use the modern instrument panel.

According to VDO, a person would need a device that could convert from GM CANBUS protocol to J1939, and such a box could speak to their gauges. No idea how to go about this though.

https://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SRCH&priceranges=1&searchcatcount=1&srch_all=1&onlyone=1&Search=can2-002

You could put mechanical gauges in but not sure how about the speed sensor. Oil ,water, trans temp. & fuel pressure would be as simple as installing the sensor and you may can buy a speed sensor that can read wheel speed but not sure.

I thought about that, but since the PCM holds all of the same information I was wanting a solution that wouldn't require running separate wiring and installing separate sensors. This doohickey will let me grab the information off the PCM without running all the extra stuff.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1