RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 4 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
95 GMC
Quick question concerning camshafts and computer compatible, I found a cam that I would like to have for the engine, but when you look at the specs it says not computer compatible. Do you need to use a camshaft that is computer compatible?

Some computer control systems require a certain amount of vacuum signal for the MAP sensor, and too much lope will interfere with knock sensors. Computer cams are designed to work with the computer.

Chevy 97 wrote:
Quick question concerning camshafts and computer compatible, I found a cam that I would like to have for the engine, but when you look at the specs it says not computer compatible. Do you need to use a camshaft that is computer compatible?

Some computer control systems require a certain amount of vacuum signal for the MAP sensor, and too much lope will interfere with knock sensors. Computer cams are designed to work with the computer.

I looked up the cam that is in my 383 from GM. That cam also says it isn't computer compatible. Yet they sell it in the 383 for a computer controlled truck. Comp cams looks like they have one that would be of interest. XR264 HR13

I took a few pictures of my wiring, so I would remember where things go. Some wires I put colored zip ties on to match them up. I am removing the wiring so I can park it outside when the engine is getting worked on.

This is a first for me to see, a support on the back of the tail shaft on the transfer case.

This is a first for me to see, a support on the back of the tail shaft on the transfer case.

I've never seen that before either. Looks like a good thing thou.

I asked Whipped383, since he works on a lot of vehicles. He said he has seen a few of these on the 2500 trucks with the newer transfer cases. My brother in law owned this truck first, I think he ordered it in. At the time he got this truck he was working as a contractor out in the oil field. He had to travel to a lot of well sites. with the summer rains and the winter snow, plus a 454, it makes sense that this is on this vehicle. The transfer case just hangs on by 6 bolts. I wish I had this on my half ton, since I had changed to the 4L80E.

Reply to topic Page 4 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4