RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
95 GMC
I put the hood on myself, noticed the alignment was really bad. looked at the hinges, both of them were bent. so I replaced them with the two that was with the different hood. I got the alignment as close as I could get it. Still cannot up load pictures because photo bucket is having issues. I ordered a new wiper arm and a plastic piece that covers the hood mount. I will have to look up the name of the part. The original was broken after the hood popped open on my 97. The wiper arm also was bent after the hood popped open. I was lucky no other damage took place when that happened.

I changed the spring, ended up after putting the better hood in place, I had to change the hood mounts too, because they were bent.

This is the spring that was on the truck when the hood hit the cab. I replaced them.

The damaged hood.

The hood that came off the 95 1 ton.

Last edited by Chevy 97 on Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post 2000 Chevy Crew Cab Short Box. 3/4 Ton 454 

The 454 has a bad knock, in fact it actually quit on me when I was unloading the truck off the trailer. I will be taking apart the front end of the truck to pull the engine. I may need two better fenders too. Rusted bad by the bottom bolt. Looking forward to seeing what actually went wrong. This truck already has shorty headers on it. the third owner had a new exhaust put on, only a 2 1/2 inch tailpipe. I have that size in dual exhaust on my half ton. I would also like long tube headers. The transmission was good, The rearend was rebuild.
I eventually want to put the dually rearend in place. then change the front hub assembly to make it look like a 1 ton.

Damn I love crew cab short box GMT 400 trucks

Chevy has always choked off the exhaust on their big blocks. The 450 horse 454 Chevelle had 2.25 inch duals. A smaller exhaust has higher velocity, which does a better scavenging job on the cylinder, but too small and you choke the engine. It's a fine line getting the correct balance of scavenging vs choking. Too large an exhaust is also bad, you lose scavenging which costs a lot of power. I've tried 3 inch duals on a 350, and just putting 2.5 inch pipes after the mufflers on that system boosted engine power.

Chevy has always choked off the exhaust on their big blocks. The 450 horse 454 Chevelle had 2.25 inch duals. A smaller exhaust has higher velocity, which does a better scavenging job on the cylinder, but too small and you choke the engine. It's a fine line getting the correct balance of scavenging vs choking. Too large an exhaust is also bad, you lose scavenging which costs a lot of power. I've tried 3 inch duals on a 350, and just putting 2.5 inch pipes after the mufflers on that system boosted engine power.

I would like 3 inch all the way out the back. But for now, may just leave it alone. The interior is a bit rough now too. It was used out in the oil field, Rod kept it very clean. Not sure about the last two owners. This is one of the trucks my wife would not let me buy after I hit the deer. Worried about the engine. I could have swapped the 383 in it if needed. Now to make one 454 out of two. With some new parts of course. Like the cam shaft. I hope the block is still good. I really do not want to try and use the gen 5 block.

Reply to topic Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3